Many teachers and educators clearly need to brush up on Alberta’s anti-bullying curriculum. They may teach it, but they obviously don’t live it. The vitriol, vandalism, threats and incivility hurled towards anyone who expresses support for any portion of Alberta’s K-6 draft curriculum is proof of that. The hatred and anger are simply over the top. The gratuitous insults — “you fat cow,” “bootlicker,” “Nazi” — however, speak directly to the misogynistic bullying that very likely causes these very same cowardly, anonymous hypocrites to wear a pink T-shirt on the last Wednesday of February every year and tweet about it and post virtue-signalling photos on their Instagram accounts. “It’s ironic, because their argument on sticking with the skills-based approach that exists in the curriculum is they want to develop independent thinkers of their students without teaching them knowledge, but they attack anyone who thinks independently from them or the masses,” said the Calgary public high school teacher, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.
The Federal Court of Appeal has found that a pact between Ottawa and Washington to turn back asylum-seekers entering Canada from the United States does not violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. A three-judge panel ruled unanimously Thursday to allow the Canadian government’s appeal that argued the Federal Court misinterpreted the law when it declared in July that the safe third country agreement breaches constitutional guarantees of life, liberty and security. The Federal Court’s declaration of invalidity was suspended for six months and later extended, leaving the law in place for now. Under the bilateral agreement, which took effect in 2004, Canada and the United States recognize each other as safe places to seek protection. It means Canada can turn back people seeking asylum who arrive at land ports of entry along the Canada-U.S. border on the basis they must pursue their claims in the United States, the country where they first arrived.
Identify thieves have breached as many as 800,000 online accounts in order to obtain federal pandemic relief cheques, according to the Canada Revenue Agency. As a result, CRA has locked those accounts and offered free credit protection to an undisclosed number of those that were victimized, says Blacklock’s Reporter. The cost to taxpayers was not revealed. Revenue Minister Diane Lebouthillier said in an Inquiry Of Ministry tabled in the Commons that “impacted individuals with email addresses on file were notified.” CRA earlier said it was aware of suspicious claims for CERB (the Canada Emergency Response Benefit.) CRA has said it won’t know the full extent of CERB fraud until Canadians file tax returns by the April 30, 2021 deadline.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said there is nothing about Canada’s vaccine procurement effort he would do differently, even as a third wave of cases surges across much of the country. Few countries have completely blunted a third wave with vaccines, but the U.S. and the U.K. are seeing much lower rates now because of their widespread vaccine use. Trudeau defended his government’s efforts, even with cases on the rise, an increase that could have been slowed if the vaccine had been administered more widely and quickly. Conservative leader Erin O’Toole took aim at the slow rollout in question period Tuesday, raising a critical piece from American network CNN and saying it showed the government was negligent in getting vaccines to Canadians. “Will the prime minister admit that his failure to secure sufficient vaccines is leading to a catastrophic third wave?” O’Toole asked. “How many Canadians are now being infected with COVID-19 variants because of this government’s slow and confused rollout of vaccines?”
Several hundred people defied Montreal’s 8 p.m. curfew on Sunday evening to protest the measure that was ordered back into place by the Quebec government amid the rise of COVID-19 cases in the province. Videos shared on social media show people gathered in the streets of the old port, mostly not wearing masks nor distancing. Footage also shows protestors setting things on fire. Montreal police did not get back to Global News at the time of publishing. Premier François Legault announced on Thursday that restrictions are being tightened in Montreal and Laval with the reinstatement of the 8 p.m. curfew as of Sunday. It will be maintained until further notice.