Trudeau said he wasn’t aware of dropped sexual assault charge against Toronto candidate until now

DM

Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau says a Toronto-area candidate has been asked to pause his campaign after the party learned he previously faced a sexual assault charge that was later dropped. Trudeau said Friday that he learned about the allegations against Spadina-Fort York candidate Kevin Vuong after the Toronto Star reported on the 2019 charge against him, which was later withdrawn. “We are a party that always takes seriously any allegations or reports of sexual harassment or intimidation or assault,” Trudeau said in Windsor, Ont. “That has been clear from the very beginning.” He said his party had not been aware of the charge until the newspaper published its report on Thursday. “We are looking into it very carefully and we have asked the candidate to pause his campaign,” he said. Vuong said in a statement that the allegations are false. “I vigorously fought these allegations when they were initially brought forward. The allegations were withdrawn. Had they not been withdrawn, I would have continued to defend myself against these false allegations,” he said. “This resurfacing three days before the election is deeply troubling to me and my family.”

Notifications - Subscriptions
Notify of
9 Comments
Newest
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

9
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x